We’re on the home stretch of the biggest derby convention in the world, and in my down time I’ve been reminiscing about some the conversations I’ve heard, or feelings I’ve felt. I’m going to do a short series of “10 Things” about Rollercon. Enjoy! And please post your own thoughts at the bottom of the article!
10 Things I Love Hearing at Rollercon
10. (in random location) “Hi! What league are you from?”
It’s so much fun meeting people from new places. Montana, Colorado, Finland, Australia, California, Florida, South Carolina, Wyoming, Texas, Toronto, Wasatch… it really is international.
9. “I couldn’t do [insert skill here] before that class!”
Smarty Pants has taught a lot of people that they CAN do a mohawk, if they just warm it up properly.
8. “I was able to hop into three challenge bouts today.”
Though the staff has put the general kibosh on swapping skaters out for challenges, the skaters are sneaky. We are very good at finding loop holes. Many skaters will simply turn their shirt inside out and take the number of someone already on roster! Viola!
7. “I totally just beat [insert amazing skater here] through the pack!”/”I survived a hit from [insert skater here]”/”I knocked down [insert skater]!”
Personally, I have heard this in reference to Fifi Nomenon, Speed Dealer, Quadzilla, She Who Must Not Be Named, Streak and Joy Collision (among others I’m sure!)
6. “I got a ticket to the class I wanted!”
Seriously. This feels like winning the lottery when it happens. Especially for some of the high profile teachers
5. “I got for real married!”
Congrats Kellasauras of Molly Rogers Rollergirls. (And yes, she knew him before she arrived in Vegas) I’m sure there are others too!
4. “Coolio is at the pool. He just told me he was going to “Black and Dick Me”.” ~ Julia Black N Deck’Her (also of Molly Rogers)
You can’t make that kind of story up.
3. “I just saw a jam line proposal!”
Everything happens at Rollercon. Apparently, during a co-ed challenge bout, one jammer just couldn’t help but finally pop the question to the lady wearing the opposing star. Brings a whole new meaning to “jammer on jammer” action.
2. “YOU AGAIN??”
After a few challenges and scrimmages you start meeting people again and again. Personally, I have run into skaters like Serenity Storm, Ice Wolf and Sic Shooter over and over again. It’s awesome every time.
1. “It’s my first Rollercon!”
The experience has been so great for everyone. Even if you didn’t get into all the classes you wanted, there are ways to learn and improve. I don’t know if there is a single skater leaving without having gained something along the way.