If you would like to start a garden, but you’re worried about the contaminants already in your soil, or the Floridian underground pests and microorganisms that will eat your plant roots before they can flower and bear fruit, then look into hydroponic gardening. It is clean, simple to start, and easy to maintain.
You can get the containers in brick red, white, or green, and they are attractive borders in your garden, especially when the flowers and fruit bring lovely colors to decorate your yard or apartment.
Hydroponics is basically gardening with very little soil. The benefits of hydroponic gardening are huge:
- Produces chemical-free, organic, tasty food
- No need for herbicides or pesticides
- Plants can be grown anywhere, even in an apartment
- No plowing, tilling, shoveling, wheelbarrows, or manure required
- Less chance of disease
- Save large amounts of water
- Plants grow faster
- Your hands won’t get muddy
- Takes up very little space because its can be vertical
- Produces tastier fruit and vegetables
- No weeding is necessary
- Produce will be packed with more vitamins and vegetables
- Requires very little dirt
- You can garden without bending or squatting
- Eco-friendly in every way
- Very little labor involved
- Can be productive longer during the year than the traditional garden
- Containers can be decorative and fit in any setting
- Plants grow expeditiously and with more density than those planted in the ground
There are several systems you can choose from, so you should think of the size of your desired garden and what you want to invest in it. Investigate the different systems and choose the one that will best suit your needs. There is the Bato Bucket System, Bubbling Planter System, Dutch Pot System, Hydro Stacker System, and the Raft System. You can even combine more than one.
In St. Petersburg, you should visit First Fruits Hydroponics, located at 3215 46th Avenue North. They are open on Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Their knowledgeable staff can answer your questions and get you started with your garden today. Learn how to grow lettuce, tomatoes, bell peppers, bedding plants, bean sprouts, green onions, strawberries, herbs, and exotic houseplants, like orchids, and much more.
In Tampa, you should visit the Urban Oasis Hydroponic Farm. They have a great starter system for hydroponics that can give you a harvest in only six to eight weeks. You can also get natural fertilizer, seasonal starter plants, and growing mediums. They give tours of the grounds from September to June, and sell to restaurants, cooks, and caterers, as well as local families in their fresh produce market. Plus, they offer Seasonal Farm Share Memberships. You can find them at 5416 West Linebaugh Avenue.
Even if you have a pebble or sand covered yard, with hydroponics your garden will look beautiful, and the food you produce will be lovely and delicious enough to grace any table.