Fashion experts, editors, bloggers and columnists gathered at Belk in Cool Springs Galleria this week to hear about the Fall 2012 fashion trends from Vice President of Trend Merchandising and Fashion Direction for Belk, Inc., Arlene Goldstein.
Goldstein, a seasoned fashion veteran with more than 25 years in the industry, led a power point enhanced conference in the Belk training room, to give fashion media a heads-up on what’s what in the upcoming season.
So, what does the season hold for the fashion forward and simply fashion conscious consumer? According to Goldstein, the style statements for the autumn season will primarily be ladylike elegance with an attitude, artfully twisted classics, modern retro spins and more color blocking or maximalist color.
My Fair Lady is the Belk style statement for ‘elegance with an attitude’, both ladylike and luxurious, the Peplums, pussycat bows and Peter Pan collars, with slim waists, ruching and wrapping, dresses us with a hint of nostalgia and feminine flair. Lush wools, silks, satins, lame’s and sequins give us what Goldstein coins as “glitz before six” for fun daytime glamour.
Town and Country is Belk’s rendition of the ‘artfully twisted classic’ style promises to raise the style quotient of weekend chic. Traditional sportswear styling turned up a notch is what this style promises to be, with fur accents, turtlenecks and quilting with fabulous textiles like tweed, leather and flannel, giving us casual and dressy at the same time.
Mod Modern, a style that embraces 1960s shape shifts while giving them new sleek lines and sharp tailoring is retro with a hip edge. Add color blocking to sloping shoulders and slim pants and you will have a retro style with an attitude. Embracing structured knits, ponte, melton wools, leather and New Age synthetics, this is a trend that gives us sophisticated cuts with a modern twist.
Vivid is a trend that offers a chromatic crescendo of maximalist color, adding va-va-va-voom to our wardrobes. This style offers bold color married to neutrals, like tomato red with elephant grey and vivid fuchsia mixed with deep burgundy. This is a bold but fresh look with a modern dimension. Fashion gone Technicolor gives you a chance to make your own rules with Vivid.
Check out Belks’ list of Lady’s Must-Haves for the season: (and don’t miss the slideshow!)
Belk Brings Bold Style with Fall 2012 Women’s Most-Wanted Fashion Picks:
Kick start your fall wardrobe with the new next! Here’s a peak at the most important items of the season for women. Indulge your style sensibilities in Belk’s Most Wanted list for women, and you’ll look polished and pulled together in a fashion minute!
- Bold Color- It’s no surprise that vibrant hues are at the top of the “Hot List” for fall. Color clashing, color blocking, color banding—yes, stay bright on trend!
- Fitted Blazer- All the cool labels agree. The jacket is back and better than ever. It is THE “of the moment” completer piece to love for seasons to come. This classic looks newest when shaped to perfection to contour your curves.
- Ankle Pant- This is the bottom that will work as hard as you do. It is the fashion basic that feels fresh and fashion forward when you add a silky shirt or a shaped jacket. With this piece, it will be easy to elevate your style.
- Beautiful Blouse- This is sophisticated lady chic at its best. This fem top never loses its allure. Get creative. Pair it with jeans or partner it perfectly with a slim skirt. The blouse beckons for your attention.
- Pencil Skirt- Play it straight. For effortless cool, say, “Yes,” to this timeless skirt silhouette.Hitting at or around the knee, the pencil is sure to be figure flattering and one of your all-time favorites.
- New Shape Sweater- Get ready to embrace some of the season’s sharpest silhouettes. Pullover knits in boxy shapes with dolman sleeves, metallic yarns and elegant openwork head the list of winning updates that will give your wardrobe the wow factor!
- Glitzy Top- Embrace a shot of shimmer and sophisticated style becomes yours. Fall is a treasure trove of metallic’s, beads, sequins and sparkle. Add the oomph and keep the other elements in your look low key. Yes, just a taste of tantalizing texture is all it takes.
- Shift Dress- Simple, sleek and chic, this frock will feel so right. Intense colors, leather trims and luxe fabrics are the fuss-free way to say, “Hello,” to one of autumn’s most important items.
- Metal Collar- This statement neck is no doubt one of fall’s most fabulous fashion finds. Gold finishes are a must. Exploring interesting shapes and innovative textures are a sensational way to make you look unique.
- Fashion Watch- Go glam with a stylish time piece that will add a fab finishing touch to any look. Rose gold, steel or two-tone finishes raise the bar on luxury. Show time!
- Cross-Body Handbag- Bold hues, butter-soft leathers and tri-color treatments will have you going hands free from workplace to weekend.
- Boots & Booties- Watch your step! Whether you are pounding the pavement or enjoying a rural retreat, these shoes are the season’s front runner. From the glam bootie to the fail safe knee high, new heel treatments and innovative materials gather ringside for knock out style.