Chicken ala king is a delicious comfort food on a cool autumn day. Making chicken ala king in the crock pot or slow cooker makes it easy to enjoy a delicious family meal even on a busy weeknight. Celebrate the first day back to school with this delicious, hearty and easy chicken ala king in the crock pot recipe.
This recipe for chicken ala king calls for precooking the chicken, but if you prefer you may add the raw chicken to the mixture in the crock pot or slow cooker. You will need to cook the chicken ala king for 6 to 8 hours if you decide to start with raw chicken.
The recipe for chicken ala king in the crock pot or slow cooker also calls for using fresh mushrooms, but if you prefer you can use two 4-ounce cans of mushroom pieces, and you can add them to the crockpot liquid and all, if desired.
Cream of mushroom soup can be substituted for the cream of chicken soup. You can use fat-free cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom soup in this chicken ala king recipe. To make the chicken ala king recipe even more frugal, make your own cream of anything soup. You can also make homemade buttermilk biscuits and serve the chicken ala king over them.
Chicken ala king in the crock pot or slow cooker recipe
Ingredients for crock pot or slow cooker chicken ala king:
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted or make your own cream of anything soup
- ½ cup + 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 Tablespoons olive or vegetable
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup celery, diced
- ½ cup carrots, peeled and diced
- ½ cup green bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1 pound fresh white mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 jar (4 ounces) diced pimentos, drained
- Hot cooked rice, hot cooked egg noodles, biscuits or toast points
How to make chicken ala king in the crock pot or slow cooker:
- In a large bowl combine ½ cup all-purpose flour, black pepper, cayenne pepper and salt. Dredge the chicken cubes in flour.
- In large sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, reduce heat to medium and carefully add dredged chicken cubes to pan a few at a time. Brown slightly on all sides. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- In the crock pot or slow cooker, combine condensed soup, 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour and stir until smooth.
- Stir in chicken, celery, garlic, carrots, onion and green bell pepper. Cover and cook on low 5 to 6 hours, until chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in mushrooms, peas and pimentos and cook and additional 30 to 45 minutes, until mushrooms are soft and cooked through.
- Serve chicken ala king over hot cooked rice or biscuits or toast points.
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- Buttermilk biscuit recipe
- Make your own cream of anything soup mix
- Make healthier more nutritious salads
- How to make homemade salad dressings
Click the Subscribe link to receive FREE notification whenever new articles or recipes are published by the Frugal Living Examiner, Family Examiner and Buffalo Family Holidays Examiner
Follow Better Frugal Living and Rachael’s Food Buzz on Facebook. Also follow Rachael on Twitter and Pinterest