This is a yummy alternative to a traditional bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich or BLT. The avocado adds a delightfully rich flavor to the sandwich. Some people call this a California BLT because of the addition of the avocado. It can make a nice, light supper on busy school/work night in Boston. Just cook the bacon in the microwave oven for the easiest of clean-ups.
- 20 slices bacon
- 1 cup mayonnaise, light mayonnaise works well
- 2 avocados, chopped
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tomatoes, sliced
- Whole wheat pitas
- 4 cups Romaine lettuce, shredded
- Cook bacon in the microwave, according to the package directions. Can also be cooked in the oven on a slotted pan or in a traditional skillet. Only one-pot, despite the choice of cooking method.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, avocado and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Slice tomatoes into 6 rounds each and cut each in half.
- Half pitas.
- Divide avocado mixture in each and spread.
- Fill each pita half with 1/4 cup shredded lettuce, 3 slices tomato and 5 pieces of bacon.