A 4-year-old boy in the Bronx paid the ultimate price Sunday night for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The wrong place was a basketball court in the Morrisania section of the borough. The wrong time is whenever inner-city residents attempt to resolve disputes with handguns.
But there is a second wrong time in this story. That is the time of the shooting, 9:40 p.m., which doesn’t gibe with the age of the victim. The Daily News identifies that victim as Lloyd Morgan but fails to speculate about what he was doing out on the street past what should have been a normal bedtime for a 4-year-old.
The article reports that “mothers began searching the courts for their children when the guns finally silenced” and quotes one of the woman as saying of the slain child’s mother: “When my friend didn’t see her kid, she panicked. Then she saw him on the floor, shot.”
The child was rushed to Lincoln Hospital, where he died of his wounds. A second shooting victim, a 27-year-old man, was taken to the same hospital with a bullet in his stomach.
A witness has identified the individual who fired the first shot as a man known as Spidey, but the shot that felled little Lloyd was delivered by one of the basketball players who returned fire, hitting the child.
Ironically, the basketball game, known as the “First Annual Ghetto Angels Basketball Tournament,” was being played in solemn commemoration of the stabbing death of a 15-year-old girl on the same site one year ago. Next year, they can add another child’s name to the list of those the game is meant to memorialize.
- ABC News releases first home video of Colorado shooter James Holmes
- ABC News looks for connection between Colorado shooting and Tea Party
- New low: Muggers steal a gold chain from 3-year-old in stroller
- 8-year-old slashes fellow school student with blade in schoolyard fight
- Prosecutor blames mother for starvation death of Brooklyn 4-year-old
- Viral shock video shows teen mother beating her 10-month-old baby
- Children arrive home from school to find parents dead in murder-suicide
- NJ mother arrested for taking 6-year-old to tanning salon
- VA teacher arrested for firing ‘blanks’ in class
- Special needs student dies after teacher makes him wear ‘homemade’ neck brace
- Father arrested, strip-searched after 4-year-old draws ‘man with gun’
- Shock video of disabled teen being tortured by ‘teachers’ shown at trial
- Brooklyn mother abandons daughters, 3 and 5, on sidewalk, drives off (Update)
- Woman mistakenly pursued by bloodthirsty mob plunges to her death
- Pregnant Brooklyn mother dies shielding children from rooftop sniper (Video)
- Tucson shooting survivor arrested after making death threat to tea partier
- The shooting in Tucson and the political blame game
Subscribe at the top of the page to have my articles sent directly to your e-mail inbox. Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at email@example.com or by posting a comment below.