Shortly after a midnight showing of “The Dark Knight Rises” began on Friday, July 20, 2012 in a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, a heavily armed gunman tossed a can of tear gas and then opened fire. Throughout all of the confusion and mass hysteria, 12 people were left dead and 38 wounded. The gunman had obviously planned this deadly massacre and was ready for the consequences that came to him.
VIDEO: Cell phone video captured from mass shooting at “The Dark Knight Rises” showing in Colorado
Details of the shooter and shooting are as follows:
- 24-year old James Holmes is in custody for the entire situation
- Holmes appeared at the front of the theater showing “The Dark Knight Rises” and threw a smoke bomb containing tear gas toward the crowd
- Holmes, dressed in heavy body armor and a gas mask resembling that of movie villain Bane, opened fire through the smoke
- It is said that Holmes came in through an emergency exit door
- At least four guns were uses – two handguns, a shotgun, and an “AK type” rifle
Cell phone video of the incident taken at the theater showed people screaming and running out of the building. Many of them had blood staining their clothing.
Numbers so far related to the victims:
- 12 dead – Originally thought to be 14
- At least 38-50 injured
- One of those injured was a three-month old baby with ages ranging up to 45-years-old
- A nine-year old girl with gunshot wounds to her back was carried out by an officer
- Several are still in critical condition – Denver Health Center had six patients from the shooting with one in critical condition while five were fair
- Swedish Health Center had three victims – Two in critical and one in fair, a fourth victim was on the way
- Parker Adventist Hospital had two with minor injuries
One of the scariest revelations to “The Dark Knight” massacre is that happened only about 13 miles from the site of the 1999 Columbine shootings.
More information is still trying to be found out about Holmes, but one person for sure knows that the right person was in custody. When contacted in San Diego, a woman identifying herself as Holmes’ mother stated:
“You have the right person,” she said, apparently speaking on gut instinct. “I need to call the police… I need to fly out to Colorado.”
More on this story as it develops.
For e-mail updates whenever a new article is posted, please subscribe at the bottom of the page and follow me on Twitter: @CapnDanny, GooglePlus, or join my group on Facebook and Celebrity Buzz.