Hello Oakland California! Oakland has had its share of violent crimes committed by youngsters, how many of those may have been the result of children playing the wrong games? Are your kids playing “mature” games online or elsewhere? In today’s world we really have to beware of what we let our children play, especially if we want to raise them up in the ways of the Lord. Believe it or not, video games do affect the mental health of children. I’m not saying that every kid who plays violent games will go out and kill someone, but it does affect them in some way or another. I remember when I was a kid, the games I played were gruesome and addicting. They give you ideas, sometimes all it takes is the wrong ideas coming into a child’s mind… BUT again, not every child is going to act on those ideas. That doesn’t mean they do not affect them.
How can we combat games that we do not approve? If you’re able to, if you have the skill you might create an alternative. Otherwise there are already some alternatives out there. A lot of kids love online roleplaying games some of which are safe, others not so much. So, we have to research these outlets before allowing the children to play. Below I have included my top 5 family recommended games (click the titles to visit the respective websites):
1. Virtual Online Wrestling (The site is moderated and abides by strict rules of conduct.) It is a text based game and the text has no mentions of weapons, profanity, blood, or sex. This is a game for the whole family. Player ages range from about 10-50 (seriously, its for the whole family.) The site has several other games as well besides wrestling.
2. Cartoon Network has over 250 online games, mostly games that have themes based on their television shows. This is likely to keep younger children busy for hours. Older children past the age of 8 may seek something more indepth
3. MathGameTime.com is great if you have really young children and want them to have a fun learning experience.
4. Nick is another one that falls under the same description as Cartoon Network games in my opinion, but it actually may be a little bit funner than Cartoon Network.
5. Big Fish Games has hundreds of games, but some of them you have to buy and download. Which is perfect, because while you’re using your credit card you can make sure your kids aren’t playing something you feel is inappropriate. The site is a bit iffy with some games, so parental advisory is recommended in my opinion. What seems “family friendly” to the rest of the world isn’t quite there for us Christians, for example some of the games on the site has stuff like “witch” in the title. I for one would not want my children playing games about witches. So, if you use this site just be aware of that.
I hope that this list was helpful, it was hard for me just to find these. However, my top pick is Virtual Online Wrestling just for the fact that I play it, and I can vouge for it. Most kids play it for years on out and never grow tired of it. As with any game you should check it out before you let your kids play, but that’s why I really recommend Virtual Online Wrestling… because most parents can play this game with their kids and really have a fun time together. If you would like to add to this list please reply with a comment and tell us your favorite online kid friendly games!