Customers shopping at 17 Florida Whole Foods Markets are warned not to eat certain prepared fresh food containing Gills raw yellow onions These are being voluntarily recalled due to possible Listeria monocytogenes contamination.
Listeriosis, the disease caused by eating food contaminated with this bacterium, is more deadly than infections caused by Salmonella or Clostridium botulinum (botulism).
Symptoms which include fever, muscle ache, nausea and diarrhea generally occur within a few days of eating contaminated food, but can show up as late as 2 months. If the disease spreads to the nervous system, there may be headaches, stiff neck, confusion, and loss of balance.
Listeriosis primarily affects older adults, pregnant women, newborns, and adults with weakened immune systems. However, rarely, individuals without these risk factors may be affected.
The potentially affected products were prepared and sold between July 7th and July 27th of this year at the following store locations: Biscayne, Boca Raton, Coral Gables, Coral Springs, Ft. Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Naples, Palm Beach Gardens, Pembroke Pines, Phillips Crossing, Pinecrest, Plantation, Sarasota, South Beach, Tampa, Wellington and Winter Park.
Any of the following items offered in the prepared foods department (full service counters and cases, self service hot and cold bars, and/or the prepackaged food sections) contain raw onions and are subject to the recall.
• Conch salad
• Baby Shrimp Salad
• Beet & Goat Cheese Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette
• Beet Dressing
• Chunky Ranch Vegetable Salad No Oil Added
• Cranberry Tuna Salad Roll
• Family Sized Savings Thousand Island Potato Salad
• Miso Dressing
• Miso Kissed Cukes
• New York City Corned Beef On Rye
• Pasta with Long Beans & Arame in Creamy Beet Vinaigrette
• Ranch Dressing No Oil Added
• Ranch Iceberg Salad Wedge No Oil Added
• Russian Coleslaw
• Russian Salad
• Santa Fe Turkey Salad No Oil Added
• Seasonal Succotash
• Shrimp Salad Sandwich
• Shrimp with Snow Peas
• Soy & The Sea
• Tempeh Salad
• Thousand Island Chicken Salad
• Thousand Island Chicken Salad Roll
• Thousand Island Chicken Salad Sandwich
• Thousand Island Potato Salad
• Thousand Island Shrimp Salad
• Thousand Island Surimi
• Thousand Island Surimi Crab Salad Roll
• Thousand Island Surimi Salad
• Three Bean Salad
• Tofu Japonaise
• Tuna with Cranberries Salad Sandwich
• Tuna with Sun-Dried Cranberries
• Tuna with Sun-Dried Cranberries & Lemon
• Turkey Spring Roll
To date, there have been no complaints or illnesses reported to Whole Foods Market or to the Food & Drug Administration involving the products being recalled.
However, anyone who has eaten a food on the list should pay close attention to possible signs or symptoms of illness and contact their physician immediately if they appear.