Your children are now enrolled in the new school year and you are wondering what you can do with your spare time. Do not waste your time; rather devote it to helping your child’s school. One of the best ways to help the school is to offer your time to the school by volunteering.
The Bellevue School District has been nationally recognized for the quality of its schools–prompting many families to move to Bellevue for that very reason alone. Community support and involvement has been a consistent factor here. From parent volunteers in schools, business support for educational initiatives, citizen advisory committees to help find solutions, charitable foundations to fund programs, campaigns to support capital construction or technology enhancements, or groups that engage parents, community engagement has been a foundation of success.
There are numerous ways to volunteer for the school district:
- Are you a parent looking for ways to become involved to support student academic achievement? From parent groups to our VIBES volunteer program, the possibilities are endless. Contact Community Engagement Fa’izah Bradford at 425-456-4060 or email@example.com
- Are you a citizen looking to be part of a group to find solutions? A citizen advisory committee may be just for you. Call the school district office to see which avenue may work for you. Contact Jacque Coe, Director of Communications and Community Engagement at 425-456-4127 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Interested in fundraising? The Bellevue Schools Foundation provides ways to parents and professionals to network for a great impact. Call the Foundation at 425-456-4199.
Even though you manage to spend just one hour per week in the classroom, you will impact a student’s life. VIBES (Volunteers in Bellevue’s Education System) is a highly successful, in-school volunteer program, supporting students of all needs. Volunteers are placed in schools as one-on-one mentors and tutors and also as classroom volunteers. Opportunities are available at all 27 Bellevue schools in grades K-12, including district preschools and Headstart programs. As a volunteer, you can support academic achievement, encourage development of social skills, and motivate students to become life-long learners. In just one hour, you can have a lasting impact on a child’s life.
Here are the steps to become a VIBES volunteer. (VIBES is an in-school program. VIBES volunteers work on campus during school hours only.)
- Complete a volunteer application packet consisting of Bellevue School District Volunteer Application, Disclosure Form, and Washington State Patrol Form. Be sure to include complete contact information for two references. Mail entire packet to the VIBES office: VIBES, PO Box 90010, Bellevue, WA 98009 or bring it with you to the next VIBES orientation session.
- Attend a VIBES orientation. VIBES orientations are held twice a month, and you can choose between a morning or evening session on those days.
- After your application has been processed, the VIBES Site Liaison at your school will contact you to discuss your volunteer interests and possible placement ideas. Together, you will decide on a day and time to volunteer.
Volunteer application form is available here.