August 24 is National Waffle Day! While this delicious food holiday celebrates all things waffles, the special day also celebrates an American inventor.
National Waffle Day
On this day back in 1869, Cornelius Swartwout received a patent on an invention that would forever change breakfast – the stove-top waffle iron. General Electric went on to produce the very first electric waffle iron years later, in 1911.
Whether you prefer your waffle drenched in syrup, slathered with butter or plain, folks have been eating waffles for centuries. Traditionally served for breakfast, waffles are available in a wide variety of flavors, shapes and sizes and can be eaten any time of the day or night.
In honor of National Waffle Day, why not enjoy one or two of the delicious waffle recipes listed below? Please note – some of the following recipes require a waffle iron.
- Waffles of Insane Greatness – Judging by the 5-star rating and the popular reviews, this waffle recipe must be insane!
- Gingerbread Waffles – This 5-star recipe, from Rachael Ray, calls for all-purpose flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, eggs, dark brown sugar, molasses, milk, pumpkin puree, butter and fruit, syrup and/or whipped cream to top it all off. You’ll need a waffle iron for this one.
- The Greatest Waffle Recipe Ever – This recipe calls for all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, eggs, milk and canola oil.
- Cinnamon Sugar Waffles – This recipe, from Martha Stewart, calls for sugar, cinnamon and homemade buttermilk waffles.
- Belgian Buttermilk Waffles with Glazed Bananas – This popular recipe, from Gourmet, calls for all-purpose flour, baking powder and soda, buttermilk, unsalted butter, eggs, vegetable oil, pure maple syrup and large bananas.
- Blueberry Waffles – This healthy recipe calls for whole-wheat pastry flour, oat flour, ground flax, skim milk, egg whites, butter, 1 pint of blueberries and walnuts.
- Whole Grain Waffles with Strawberries and Almonds – This recipe, from SELF, sounds perfect for breakfast!
- Ruby’s Caramel Pecan Waffles – Besides all-purpose flour, heavy cream and granulated and dark brown sugar, you’ll also need butter, backing powder and soda, cinnamon, milk, sour cream, eggs, light corn syrup, whipped cream, vanilla extract and pecans for this delish dish!
- Peanut Butter Waffles – Peanut butter lovers will love this waffle recipe!
- Sweet Potato Waffles – Besides the basics, you’ll need 1 ½ cups of sweet potatoes too!
- Egg and Sausage Waffle Wrap – This 5-star recipe calls for olive oil, buttermilk, eggs, all-purpose flour, baking powder and soda, butter breakfast sausage, pepper jack cheese, fresh cilantro and hot sauce. Don’t forget the iron.
- Maple Sausage Breakfast Casserole – You’ll need frozen waffles, cheddar cheese, eggs, milk, maple breakfast sausage and maple syrup for this recipe.
- Ham and Cheese Waffles – Yep, these waffles include strips of ham and sharp, white cheddar cheese.
- Chicken Waffle Cupcake – Fair warning. The photographs in this recipe, from The Novice Chef, are a-mazing!
- Cornmeal Waffles with Spicy Chili – Kick those waffles up a big notch with this 5-star recipe from Paula Deen!
- Bacon Cheddar Waffles – If you’re looking for something a little different, check this recipe out. You’ll need Bisquick baking mix, eggs, milk, sour cream, butter or margarine, bacon and cheddar cheese for this recipe.
- Crunchy Chicken Stuffed Waffle Pops & Maple Dijon Dip – Wow! The kids will get a kick out of these fun-to-eat waffle pops!
- Ice Cream Waffle Sandwich – If you’re looking for a sweet waffle treat to eat, you’re in luck! Martha Stewart shares this simple recipe.
- BLT Waffle – Andrea Correale, owner of premiere catering and event planning company Elegant Affairs, has graciously shared a few of her delicious waffle recipes with the National Holiday readers. Simply stack hickory smoked bacon, fresh tomatoes and crispy lettuce in between 2 waffles smothered with herb mayonnaise. Delish!
- Waffle Ham Sandwich – This recipe, from Andrea Correale, calls for smoked hickory ham and slices of sharp cheddar cheese sandwiched between two waffles. Place sandwich in Panini press until the cheese is perfectly melted. Serve with coleslaw and pickle spear and you’re good to go!
Enjoy! Be sure to visit the August Holiday Calendar for more wild, wacky and wonderful holidays.