Datz an American gastropub and market offers the best monkey cake in Tampa Bay. Datz serves breakfast, lunch, brunch, dinner and can cater your event or party. Located in South Tampa, Datz welcomes the family to a casual atmosphere to enjoy their diverse menu.
Monkey cake is a personal favorite that has a delicious cinnamon sugar taste. Walnuts and raisins complete this culinary treat. Here is my Monkey cake recipe to try.
You can half the recipe and bake a smaller version of the monkey cake by only using 2 cans of Pillsbury biscuits and of course a smaller baking pan or dish.
- 4 cans Pillsbury biscuits
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine (1 stick)
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- bundt or tube pan
- small sauce pan
- measuring cup
- measuring spoon
- medium-sized plastic bag
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Melt the 1/2 cup butter and 1 cup sugar in sauce pan over low heat.
- Thoroughly grease a Bundt pan.
- Prepare a sugar and cinnamon mixture. Mix the remaining 2/3 cup of sugar and 3 teaspoons of cinnamon (add more cinnamon if needed) in a medium-size baggie.
- Prepare 2 cans of biscuits by cutting them in 1/4 pieces. Coat the biscuits in the sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- With the sugar and cinnamon coated biscuits completely cover the bottom of the Bundt pan.
- Next, spoon approximately 2 tablespoons of the melted butter and sugar syrup on top of the biscuits.
- Then, sprinkle the biscuits with 1/4 cup raisins and 1/4 cup chopped walnuts.
- With the remaining 2 cans of biscuits prepare by cutting them in 1/4 pieces. Now place the quartered pieces of biscuits into the sugar and cinnamon mixture, evenly coat the biscuits with the mixture.
- Place the remaining coated biscuits into the Bundt pan. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of raisins and the remaining 1/4 cup of chopped walnut.
- Top with the remaining butter and sugar syrup.
- Bake approximately 40 minutes or until biscuits are thoroughly baked.
- Once the cake is baked, immediately turn it out of the pan (the top will now be the bottom).