Whether you are a beer enthusiast, novice or just enjoy sippin’ an ice cold brew from time-to-time, August 5 is all about beer – it’s International Beer Day (IBD.)
International Beer Day
The annual “holiday,” celebrated each year on the first Friday in August, is a chance for beer lovers, pub and restaurant owners, breweries and distributors from all over the world to celebrate, appreciate and enjoy a cool, crisp and refreshing beer with friends and loved ones. IBD not only provides a perfect opportunity for folks to enjoy a great domestic beer or brew from other parts of the world, but also recognizes the hard-working people who manufacture, sell and serve the beverage as well.
Ever since Jesse Avshalomov, Evan Hamilton, Aaron Araki, Richard Hernandez, Tyler Burton, and Ryland Hale came up with the idea in 2007, IBD continues to grow after its first celebration back in 2008. Whether you make it, sell it, serve it or drink it, folks in more than 20 countries are expected to participate in this year’s event.
Just for Fun Beer Facts:
- Beer is believed to be about 6,000 to 7,000 years old and has been around before bread!
- Besides all the animals, beer was also believed to be in Noah’s Ark.
- The very first beer in a can, Krueger Cream Ale, was produced in 1935.
- While beer gets a lot of its flavor from hops, water is the main ingredient in beer.
- According to NationMaster, folks in Ireland consumed the most beer in 2002 – 155 liters per person! Americans consumed 85 liters per person – coming in at 8th place.
- When it comes to alcohol, beer is the beverage of choice for men.
- Schorschbrau Schorschbock Finis Coronat Opus is the strongest beer in the world based on alcohol content – with a 57.7 percent ABV.
August 5th is also Friendship Day and Sister’s Day! What a great time to raise a glass and cheer the great taste of beer! Cheers!