As the temperature continues to climb and Americans sizzle in the sweltering heat, if you’re in the mood for a cool and refreshing sweet treat to eat during these dog days of summer, you’re in luck. August 2 is National Ice Cream Sandwich Day!
While the origins of this delicious food holiday are unknown, now you don’t need an excuse to enjoy one or two delightful ice cream sandwiches in honor of the annual event!
Ice Cream Sandwiches
Comprised of cool and creamy ice cream sandwiched between two layers of delicious soft-baked cookies, cake or wafers, Americans have been enjoying these delightful treats since the turn of the century. Today’s sandwiches are made in a variety of delicious flavors too – chocolate, vanilla and pretty much everything in between. And these tasty treats don’t have to pack on the pounds either. Ice cream sandwiches can be made with low-calorie ice cream and cookies as well! Sweet!
Some establishments around the country are offering special deals and free ice cream in honor of National Ice Cream Sandwich Day. Now no one has to scream for ice cream!
National Ice Cream Sandwich Day Freebies & Ice Cream Events
- Hood Ice Cream will be celebrating National Ice Cream Sandwich Day by giving away FREE samples of the company’s famous ice cream sandwiches from 12:00 – 2:00 P.M. on August 2, 2012.
- The EDGE Restaurant & Bar, located in the Four Seasons Hotel in Denver, is celebrating blondes in a whole new way by giving away FREE homemade blondie ice-cream sandwiches to the first 1,000 customers. The early bird really does get the worm! But there’s a catch – women have to tell their server, “Blondes have more fun” while their male counterparts have to say, “Gentlemen prefer blondes” in order to receive the free offer. This offer is valid from 11:00 A.M. until 2:00 P.M. on August 2, 2012. No purchase is necessary.
- The Erie Zoo in Erie, PA., is giving away free ice cream sandwiches for visitors of the zoo (human visitors, that is.) This offer is valid on August 2, from 10:00 – 2:00 P.M.
- Stop by the Sun Prairie Credit Union Branch and get a special treat to eat, too!
- The Juanita E. Thornton/Shepherd Park Library is celebrating the cool occasion by offering fun crafts and ice cream sandwiches on August 2nd, 2012. Children of all ages are welcome to stop on by. And by the way, it’s FREE.
- Speaking of libraries, the Boone County Public Library in Kentucky, is celebrating by making homemade ice cream sandwiches in the Main Library Children’s Activity Room for children in grade K-2. The event begins at 2:00 and registration is required. Note – it appears there is a currently waiting list.
- The Barnes and Noble in Princeton, New Jersey, is also celebrating the event with a special ice cream-inspired Storytime session.
And speaking of ice cream sandwiches, be sure to check out 15 Gourmet Ice Cream Sandwich Recipes while you’re at it! Enjoy!