When it comes to holidays, August 16 has got a little bit of something for everyone! Not only is it National Tell a Joke Day and National Bratwurst Day, August 16 is also National Rum Day!
While the origins of this “spirited” holiday are unknown, folks have been sippin’ on rum for centuries. Originally used for medicinal purposes, this versatile drink, made by distilling fermented sugar from sugar cane and water, was a particular favorite of pirates. While rum is produced all over the world, the Caribbean is known for its delicious and distinct rum.
Some businesses, restaurants and bars across America will be celebrating National Rum Day by offering special deals on rum-inspired drinks.
National Rum Day 2012 Events Across America
- How does a FREE tasting sound to you right about now? Stop by the 675 Bar on August 16th from 7:00 P.M. – 9:00 P.M. for a complimentary tasting at the bar.
- The Eldorado Hotel Casino will be serving up special deals on their signature Don Q rum cocktails and tasty appetizers from 5:00 P.M. – 6:30 P.M. on August 16th, at CinCin.
- The Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum Bar will be celebrating the annual event during their “Caippy Hour.” Stop by and receive half-price on any of their 90 rum and rum cocktail drinks from 4:30 – 6:30 P.M. on August 16, 2012.
- Rick Moonen’s RM Seafood at Mandaly Bay Resort and Casino will be celebrating with some delicious rum-inspired concoctions. Lead barman, JR Starkus, will be servin’ up delicious drinks including his award-winning “Lonely Palm” drink. The August 16th event takes place in two locations – 11:30 A.M. – 11:00 P.M. downstairs and from 5:30 – 10:30 P.M. upstairs.
- Cabo Wabo Cantina in the Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino will be celebrating National Rum Day with discounts on their signature cocktails made with rocker Sammy Hagar’s very own rum on Thursday, August 16, 2012. All Sammy’s Beach Bar rum cocktails will be $3 off.
- The Gerber Group will also be in the partying spirit by offering discounted deals on Caliche rum cocktails at all their venues including the Stone Rose New York, Whiskey Park New York, Whiskey Blue New York, Lilium and Living Room locations.
- If you’re looking for the ultimate package, look no further! The Bolongo Bay Beach Resort in St. Thomas will be celebrating National Rum Day in a big way with a 5-night, all-inclusive package for two! Besides a complimentary Sunset Cocktail cruise, Cruzan Rum tasting, live entertainment and a snorkel booze hunt, guests will receive unlimited bottle beer, house wine and premium cocktails with an ocean-view room for two!
Whether you drink it straight or prefer your rum in a tropical cocktail topped with a colorful umbrella, the following rum recipes are sure to whet your whistle, just in case you can’t make it to any of the events listed above.
Killer Rum Cocktail Recipes
- Long Island Ice Tea – In the mood for a refreshing glass of tea? This refreshing recipe tastes just like tea – with a great big kick!
- Pina Colada – This 5-star cocktail, from Paula Deen, is the best darn colada you’ve ever seen!
- Mai Tai – This recipe calls for light rum and dark rum, crème de almond, triple sec, sweet and sour mix and pineapple juice.
- Watermelon Mai Tai – This 5-star cocktail calls for light rum, lime, St. Germaine liqueur, watermelon, ice and superfine sugar.
- Mojito – This is the National Drink of Cuba! You’ll need light rum, lime juice, sugar, mint leaves and club soda for this 5-star cocktail.
- Bahama Mama – You’ll need coffee liqueur, dark rum, coconut liqueur, 151 proof rum, lemons and pineapple juice for this drink.
- Malibu Sunrise – What a way to start off the day! You’ll need Malibu coconut rum, orange juice and grenadine syrup for this top-rated cocktail.
- Naked Lady – This classy cocktail calls for Bacardi Superior Rum, vermouth, apricot brandy, pomegranate grenadine, freshly squeezed lemon juice and lemon peel.
- Between the Sheets – You’ll need light rum, cognac or brandy, Cointreau or triple sec, lemon juice , lemon juice and cracked ice.
- Captain and Coke – This top-rated drink is super easy to make. Pour Captain Morgan Original spiced rum and Coke into a highball glass with ice, stir until the coca-cola fizzes and serve.
- Hemingway Daiquiri – Also known as the Papa Doble, legend has it Ernest Hemingway drank 16 of these tasty frozen drinks in one shot. This recipe calls for white rum, lime and grapefruit juice, ice and maraschino liqueur. Don’t forget the blender!
- El Presidente Cocktail – You’ll need white rum, orange Curacao, dry vermouth and grenadine for this classic cocktail that originated in Cuba in the 1920s.
- 7 Coconuts – You’ll need 7-Up and Malibu coconut rum for this one.
- Mounds Bar – This cocktail calls for just 2 ingredients – Parrot Bay coconut rum and Godiva chocolate liqueur. Sweet!
- Pink Frost – Ok ladies – this drink is for you! Besides dark rum, you’ll need fresh strawberries, half-and-half and white chocolate liqueur, white chocolate. Serve in a chilled cocktail glass.
- Vampire Kiss – This pretty cocktail calls for a splash of cranberry juice, tonic water and Malibu passion fruit rum. Yum!
- Malibu Sparkler – This bubbly cocktail calls for Malibu rum, ruby-red grapefruit juice, grenadine syrup and champagne.
- Apple Pie Sparkler – You’ll need rum, cinnamon schnapps and ginger ale for this 5-star beverage.
- Apple Pie Shot – Speaking of apple pie, this drink calls for Captain Morgan spiced rum, apple juice, cinnamon and whipped cream. Don’t forget to swish!
- Hot Buttered Brugal – This seasonal drink calls for Brugal Anejo Rum, honey, butter, hot apple cider and allspice dram.
- Caribbean Rum Punch – This 5-star recipe calls for simple syrup, amber rum, orange juice, bitters, nutmeg and fresh lime juice.
- Chocolate Rum Cheesecake – Hurry – go grab your pitchfork! While this isn’t a cocktail, it does have rum in it! This decadent dessert calls for graham cracker crumbs, sugar, unsalted butter, bittersweet baking chocolate, cream cheese, sour cream, vanilla extract, eggs and rum!
Cheers! Be sure to check out the August Holiday Calendar for even more wacky, wild and wonderful holidays.!