If your sweet tooth is aching for a sweet treat to eat, you’re in luck! Aug. 30 is National Marshmallow Toasting Day, also referred to as National Toasted Marshmallow Day. But no matter what you call it, today is all about enjoying those ooey gooey, teeny weeny bite-sized puffy clouds of deliciousness. While the origins of this food holiday are unknown, folks have been gobbling up marshmallows since the 19th century.
Roasted, Toasted Marshmallows
For many people, roasting marshmallows evokes many fond childhood memories. Who can resist sitting around a camp fire and roasting marshmallows over an open flame? Whether you prefer your ‘mellows nice and melted right off the stick or set ablaze, roasting or toasting marshmallows is just plain fun! And just in case you’ve never roasted marshmallows before, check out these simple, step-by-step instructions.
In honor of this fun food holiday, why not try one or two of the recipes listed below?
15 Delicious Marshmallow Treats & Cocktails
- Homemade Marshmallows – This popular, 5-star recipe from Alton Brown, calls for unflavored gelatin, granulated sugar, light corn syrup, kosher salt, vanilla extract, cornstarch and confectioners’ sugar.
- Adult Marshmallows – You’ll need gelatin, granulated sugar, corn syrup and liqueur for this adults-only recipe.
- Toasted Coconut Marshmallows – This 5-star recipe, from Ina Garten, calls for homemade marshmallows, confectioners’ sugar and sweetened shredded coconut.
- Marshmallow Cream Fantasy Fudge – OMG. If you love fudge, check out this amazing chocolaty recipe from David Lebovitz.
- Original Rice Krispies Treats – You can’t have a listing of marshmallow recipes without the original, no-bake Rice Krispies Treats recipe.
- White Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats – Kick those treats up a notch with this simple-to make decadent treat with white chocolate and candied peanuts.
- Toasted Marshmallow Sweet Potato Pie – Sweeet!
- Chocolate Graham Cracker Cupcakes with Toasted Marshmallow – You’ll need all-purpose flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt, eggs, whole milk, pure vanilla extract, unsalted butter, vegetable oil, bittersweet chocolate and marshmallow frosting (recipe included.)
- Toasted Marshmallow Cupcakes – Speaking of cupcakes…
- S’mores, S’mores and More S’mores – Check out this fabulous listing of 28 s’more recipes.
- Spike Mendelsohn’s Toasted Marshmallow Milkshakes – This cool drink calls for 1 bag of jumbo marshmallows, milk, vanilla ice cream and sour cream.
- Double Chocolate-Marshmallow Milkshakes – Bobby Flay shares this rich and creamy 5-star recipe.
- Root Beer & Orange Slushie Sundaes with Toasted Marshmallows – This recipe, from Rachael Ray, sounds delish! You’ll need mini marshmallows, vanilla ice cream, orange juice and root beer.
- Toasted Marshmallow Cocktail – This pretty cocktail looks and sounds wonderful. You’ll need vanilla vodka, Bailey’s Irish Cream, butterscotch schnapps, Frangelico, marshmallows and oh – a fire.
- Extra Sweet Fantasy Marshmallow Cocktail – You’ll need coffee, Frangelico, marshmallow-flavored vodka and butterscotch liqueur for this one.
Enjoy! And speaking of special days, Aug. 30 is also Frankenstein Day and National Holistic Pet Day.