The Opening Ceremonies of the 2012 Olympics took place Friday, but wrestling fans will have to wait more than a week — Sunday, Aug. 5, to be exact — until athletes take to the mats at the Summer Games in London.
Men’s Greco-Roman wrestling is up first, taking place from Aug. 5-7. Women’s freestyle competition runs two days, Aug. 8-9, while men’s freestyle action runs from Aug. 10-12. All wrestling events will take place at ExCeL London, a giant exhibition hall.
There are seven weight classes each in men’s Greco and freestyle; four weights for women.
Here is a day-by-day schedule of events for wrestling:
- Sun., Aug. 5: Men’s Greco, 55 kg/121 pounds and 74 kg/163 lbs. (Note: Competition in each weight class is completed in a single day, from first match to medal presentation, unlike past Olympics where a wrestler would compete through a number of days.)
- Mon., Aug. 6: Men’s Greco, 60 kg/132 lbs., 84 kg/185 lbs., and 120 kg/264 lbs.
- Tues., Aug. 7: Men’s Greco, 66 kg/145 lbs., 96 kg/211 lbs.
- Wed., Aug. 8: Women’s freestyle, 48 kg/105.5 lbs., 63 kg/138.5 lbs.
- Thurs., Aug. 9: Women’s freestyle, 55 kg/121 lbs., 72 kg/158.5 lbs.
- Fri., Aug. 10: Men’s freestyle, 55 kg/121 lbs.; 74 kg/163 lbs.
- Sat., Aug. 11: Men’s freestyle, 60 kg/132 lbs., 84 kg/185 lbs., and 120 kg/264 lbs.
- Sun., Aug. 12: Men’s freestyle, 66 kg/145 lbs., 96 kg/211 lbs.
Follow the action at home: Live streaming coverage of wrestling will be available online at NBCOlympics.com as well as on various NBC TV networks. For a more detailed schedule (including handy chart to help you convert London time to yours), check out the schedule page at TheMat.com.
Want to know more? For basic facts about Olympic wrestling, check out the “How To Watch Wrestling” primer at the NBC Chicago website, and NBCOlympics for specifics on the rules.
Want to meet past U.S. Olympic gold medalists of the mat? Check out the series of articles in College Wrestling 101 for brief bios on the 47 U.S. wrestlers who brought home gold between 1908 and 2008. To learn even more, you’ll want to read the brand-new book The Gold Standard, featured in a College Wrestling Examiner article from April 2012.
The Olympics are here… and there’s plenty of other news, too! Keep up with all this summer’s developments in wrestling, including the 2012 London Olympics, awards, coach hirings, firings and retirings, new programs and other developments year round… by clicking the “sign up” button at the top of the page — or click on the Twitter link below — to make sure you don’t miss a single article from College Wrestling Examiner, winner of Amateur Wrestling News’ Dellinger Award as wrestling writer of 2011. It’s absolutely FREE!
College Wrestling 101: Links to College Wrestling Examiner articles answering basic questions about wrestling, including rules, scoring, uniforms, past U.S. Olympic gold medalists, more
Follow College Wrestling Examiner Mark Palmer on Twitter