With an upcoming election and political rhetoric intensifying by the minute, August 11 is no laughing matter especially when it comes to politics. Well actually, it is. Today is Presidential Joke Day – no joke!
Presidential Joke Day
While you may assume the yearly occasion is the perfect time to poke fun at the sitting president, this annual “holiday” was actually created in honor of one of America’s most beloved leaders, United States President Ronald Reagan.
On this day back in 1984, Reagan was preparing to give a radio address. Speaking into the microphone during a sound check, Reagan announced he had just signed legislation outlawing the Soviet Union and “we begin bombing in five minutes.” Unfortunately, the radio feed was live and the Russians were not laughing! Ahh, the perils of an open microphone created quite a stir even decades ago!
While many Americans lead hectic and busy lives, it’s hard to imagine the stress and daily rigors a sitting president must endure. But believe it or not, many presidents have a great sense of humor. In honor of Presidential Joke Day, let’s give President Barack Obama a break and let him cut loose!
Famous, Funny & Stupid Presidential Quotes and Blunders
- “If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog.” – Harry Truman
- “I do not think it altogether inappropriate to introduce myself . . . I am the man who accompanied Jacqueline Kennedy to Paris, and I have enjoyed it.” – John F. Kennedy
- “It depends on what the meaning of the words “is” is.” – Bill Clinton
- “I experimented with marijuana a time or two and I didn’t like it. I didn’t inhale and never tried it again.” – Bill Clinton
- “If this were a dictatorship, it’d be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I’m the dictator.” – George Bush
- “I was under medication when I made the decision to burn the tapes.” – Richard Nixon
- “I am not a crook.” – Richard Nixon
- “I only know two tunes. One of them is ‘Yankee Doodle’ and the other isn’t.” – Ulysses S. Grant
- “A zebra does not change its spots.” – Vice President Al Gore
- “Corporations are people, my friend.” – Former Governor and Republican Presidential Nominee Mitt Romney
- “Being president is like running a cemetery: you’ve got a lot of people under you and nobody’s listening.” – Bill Clinton
- The fundamentals of the economy are strong.” – Republican Presidential Nominee John McCain
- “I love this state. The trees are the right height.” – Mitt Romney
- “Only dead fish go with the flow.” – Former Governor and Vice Presidential hopeful Sarah Palin
- “I didn’t really had a good answer, as so often – is me.” – Sarah Palin
- “What’s the difference between a hockey mom and a pitbull? Lipstick!” – Sarah Palin
- “As Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where – where do they go? It’s Alaska. It’s just right over the border.” Sarah Palin
- “Read my lips. No new taxes.” – George H. W. Bush
- “I’ll be long gone before some smart person ever figures out what happened inside this Oval Office.” – George Bush
- “You can fool some of the people all the time and those are the ones you want to concentrate on.” – George Bush
- “I’m not familiar precisely with what I said but I’ll stand by what I said, whatever it was.” – Mitt Romney
Be sure to visit Holidailys for more traditional, weird and wacky holiday fun. Enjoy!
- Suite 101. Diane Rutherford. “Funny, Profound U.S. President Quotes & Sayings.”
- About Political Humor. Daniel Kurtzman. “The 50 Dumbest Bush Quotes of All Time”
- About Political Humor. Daniel Kurtzman. “Stupid Presidential Quotes”