So you’ve been itching to post and maintain your own blog for some time, but just haven’t been able to bring yourself to the task for one reason or another. If you can endure 12 minutes your wait is over! Let’s get started.
WordPress is divided into two types of Websites, one where bloggers who have more HTML knowledge can build a Website by downloading special WordPress Website software, coding it with a Web program or by hand and uploading it via File Transfer Protocol (FTP) software to a WordPress server at WordPress.org and the other WordPress.com. The .com is where one can point and click to establish a Web address 100 percent online and create a site simply pointing and clicking and in about 12 minutes. For the ladder version follow these 12 steps.
- Point your browser to www.WordPress.com
- On the home page you should see a rectangular box marked, “SIGN UP FREE”
Click it and create your Web address using the WordPress.com domain as the primary name. For example: I chose InternetPublishing.WordPress.com
- While selecting your name, the WordPress site is analyzing if it is available and if it also is available with a popular domain name ending such as .com, .me, or .net. This provides for a more professional public name and a much shorter URL (universal resource locator) or domain name for prospects to remember. If it is available under a popular domain name ending you will be asked to be charged $25 to secure that name annually for one year. However, if you continue with the name you chose, YourNameHere.Wordpress.com there is no fee to register. For purposes of this demonstration, I set up a blog dubbed, InternetPublishing@WordPress.com
- Next you will be asked to select and confirm a password that must include both lower and upper case.
- Choose an email address to affiliate your blog site. This is where you must confirm the registration process via a link WordPress.com will send you, thus activating it.
- After selecting a password, the site will ask if you wish to upgrade to a shorter domain name ending at cost or the free blog version, select the free version.
- Now the confirmation link will be sent to the email address you provided.
- Once you log into your email account and click on the activation link, you’ll be ready to immediately set up your blog that will be live on the internet!
- Select your Website theme from a number of colorful and creatively generated templates.
- Each template can be previewed. Think carefully which style best reflects your audience and writing blog purpose. Keep in mind that once selected it is not recommended to change the template as that could cause much longer reset up time. Click the template of your choice to permanently install it.
- Some templates have more sub-template choices and if the template choice does not immediately activate it could be due to the security settings of your browser. Not to worry, by refreshing your browser you should see a confirmation message that the blog and its new template are live on the Net. Congratulations!
- If you followed these 12 steps successfully it’s been about 12 minutes. You are now ready to begin publishing! Write that first blog.
Get some experience now because according to Rick Calvert, CEO BlogWorld Expo, the sixth such trade-show for bloggers held this past May in New York, “New media will keep changing,” and what is popular today such as WordPress or any available tool may not be popular tomorrow. Inclusion of videos as this pingroof.com blogger demonstrates is certainly on the rise. See accompanying video and WordPress slideshow above.