The abundance of beautiful summer vegetables inspired this healthy take on pizza. A refreshing departure from the usual tomato sauce, this garlic sauce is light and irresistible!
Honey Wheat Dough
*This dough can be used almost immediately and doesn’t have to rise–great when you’re pressed for time!
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon honey
1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl combine flour and salt. Make a well in the middle and add honey and yeast mixture. Stir well to combine. Cover and set in a warm place to rise for a few minutes. (Note: You can also let rise for an hour, knead, let rise and then bake. The result is a more airy crust)
3. Roll dough on a floured pizza pan and poke a few holes in it with a fork.
4. Layer on your toppings and bake your pizza at 400 degrees until desired crispness is achieved. Each batch will make about 4 small 8 – 10 inch pizzas. I like to freeze out the portions so all I have to do is grab, thaw and bake.
1 Tbs. flour
1 Tbs. butter
1 minced garlic clove
1/2 cup milk, warmed
salt and pepper to taste
1. Melt the butter in a pan on medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté until it becomes aromatic.
2. Stir in flour to butter and garlic and mix well. Be careful not to let the flour turn color by overheating.
3. Pour in milk slowly and whisk the mixture together until thick and creamy, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
4. When slightly cooled, pour sauce over your rolled out pizza dough to your desired amount.
Summer Squash and Herbed Chicken Pizza Topping
1 chicken breast, diced
1 tsp. Italian herbs
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/2 medium summer squash, cut into half moons
1/4 cup sliced red onion
1/4 – 1/2 cup shredded low fat part skim mozzarella
5 – 7 fresh basil leaves
1. Season your chicken with Italian herbs and garlic salt. Sauté in olive oil in a pan over medium heat until browned.
2. Layer the summer squash slices over the pizza, then add the chicken on top, then red onion, then basil.
3. Sprinkle with mozzarella. Feel free to add more if you wish!
4. Bake in your oven at 400 degrees until dough edges are browned and cheese is bubbly.