Los Angeles is blessed year round to have some of the greatest weather in the country. Summertime brings extended hours of daylight, making it the perfect time to bring your workout outdoors. Here are some great outdoor cardio activities to incorporate into your summer workout.
- Swimming: The Pacific Ocean is at our fingertips, and ocean swimming is a fantastic way to torch extra calories while showing off that bikini body. However, if ocean swimming is not your thing, L.A. has plenty of outdoor aquatic centers including the Santa Monica Swim Center, which is a great outdoor pool that gives you a place to swim laps or take lessons. To find other outdoor pools or lessons check out Southern California Aquatics.
- Kayaking: Don’t want to get in the water for your workout? Try working out on the water in a kayak. You’ll get to enjoy the scenery of Southern California coastline, and get to be among marine life. Kayaks can be rented up and down the coast. Pick your favorite spot and either take a tour or go explore on your own.
- Stand up Paddle Boarding: Another way to exercise on the water is stand up paddle boarding. This has become increasingly popular and is a great workout that challenges your core and upper body as you push yourself through the water via a paddle on either a surfboard or paddleboard. This is another activity you can do alone or find a group tour. Check out Malibu Surf Shack, they’re located right by the Malibu pier where you’re likely to end up paddling among dolphins.
- Surfing: Southern California’s surf culture is notorious, so get out and ride some waves. Drive up the coast at any point in the day and you’ll see surfer’s in the water taking advantage of the weather, and the waves. If you’re experienced you probably know where the best breaks are. Beginners should seek out lessons or beaches that have milder waves such as Venice, or Zuma.
- Beach Volleyball: This sport started in California and you can usually find a court open on your local beach. Grab some friends and start a friendly game or join a local meet up to get more competitive. Some of the more popular spots are Santa Monica Beach, Will Rogers, or Venice Beach.
- Biking: Sometimes it’s easier to get somewhere in Los Angeles on a bike rather than sitting in a car. Hop on your bike for a great outdoor workout whether it’s with traffic on the street, along a bike path, or a challenging mountain biking excursion,
- Hiking: There are some places in L.A. that you can hike up into the mountains and forget you’re in the city. Hikes are a fantastic workout and the spectacular views at the top are just an added benefit. There are trails for all levels, but some of the popular ones are Runyon, Temescal Canyon, and Griffith Park to the Hollywood sign.
- Running: There are so many paths to run, trails to hit, and places to go for a great run. Along the beach, San Vicente, or venture onto mountain trails. If you don’t want to go out alone, find a running group. The L.A. Marathon inspires runners every day to find meet up groups and training clubs. It might inspire you to set a new goal.
- Stairs: Strengthen those legs and glutes with a tough stair workout. L.A. has several outdoor sets: Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook in Culver City, The Santa Monica Stairs, Bunker Hill stairs located downtown, or try a set of stadium stair runs at Drake Stadium at UCLA.
- Yoga: There are several outdoor yoga classes. Try one in Runyon Park or Beach yoga with Brad at Santa Monica Beach.
Whatever outdoor workout you choose make sure you stay hydrated and be sun safe!