Are you stuck in a rut? Do you want to start dating, date more often, or spice up your relationship, but you are so unsatisfied with yourself that you don’t know where to begin?
If you’ve found yourself in this predicament, here are 10 easy steps to help you get into a new frame of mind and a new body:
1. Create a vision board – This first and most important step will help you to visualize your goals. And, look, if it works for Oprah, that’s good enough for me. Click here to create your own vision board
2. Repeat positive affirmations – Write down 3 simple affirmations and stick them on your bathroom mirror and say them out loud every morning (e.g., I choose to exercise regularly, I am getting my finances organized, etc.)
3. Change your habits slowly – Don’t go cold turkey. For example, over several weeks, start to reduce the amount of sweets, eat more vegetables, and reduce your portion sizes. Instead of that soda, opt for water. As a money-saving technique, choose a less expensive cup of coffee or make your own lunch occasionally.
4. Increase (ahem: Start) your workouts – Start slowly. Walk. Get outdoors. Then, ratchet it up. Jog. Hike. Slowly begin to increase time and intensity. This is definitely my Achilles’ heel. If you are like me, you have tried many different diets and workout programs with minimal success. Do you want to know the truth? They ALL work! If you pick a workout/nutrition program and maintain it, it will definitely work! The particular program is not the problem. Your mindset and stick-to-it-ness (yes, I just made up a word) is the problem!
5. Mix up your workouts and get a new hobby – Work out to videos, go to the gym, take specialized classes (i.e., kickboxing, pilates, yoga), join a hiking group or some other speical interest group (e.g., photography). Mix it up so you don’t get bored.
6. Don’t watch the scale – This will just depress you. Our body changes in ways that we can’t see by looking at the numbers on the scale.
7. Stick with it – You will start to get bored and tired, but remember your goal. Visualize yourself looking like you want to look, being organized, and having enjoyable dates.
8. Get dressed up and go out – Yes, we are fishing for compliments here. One surefire way of helping us keep up the effort is by getting lots of compliments!
9. Go shopping – Buy some new gear! It will do wonders in recharging your attitude!
10. Maintain, maintain, maintain – Once you start looking and feeling great, you can NOT reduce your intensity or focus. You MUST maintain your new life goals!!
Good luck out there. Be sure to check back with me regularly for innovative ideas on ways to supercharge your love life!