In 1994 a typical lunch for me would involve pulling into the drive-thru at my local Wendy’s and get the typical American lunch: burger, fries and a large soda. That changed in late 1994 when I attended a health workshop where changing to eating vegan was the least thing from my mind, however that is precisely what happened. After seeing an open heart surgery on a big screen the idea of clogged arteries brought on an entirely new meaning.
- The most obvious advantage to eliminating meat and dairy from one’s menu would be the elimination of saturated fat which has a dramatic effect on the cardiovascular system.
- Prostate cancer risk is dramatically reduced based on a study of men with the disease who switched to eating vegan.
- A better physique can often be gained while eating only plant-based foods. In addition, a lower BMI has long been associated with better overall health than those with a larger BMI.
- With a human body not able to properly digest cow milk, I came to question why we are the only species on the planet drinking milk from another animal. Further investigation found many humans’ health benefits after getting off cow milk.
- Nearly all the fish and shellfish consumed in America contains some amount of mercury. Some fish contain less than others and the FDA has claimed the amount of mercury consumed by Americans is safe, however I contend no amount of mercury ingested in my body is safe.
- Eating vegan tends to naturally increase one’s fiber intake which helps with proper digestive function and there is no risk of having pounds of undigested meat in one’s colon.
- Diabetes runs in my family and I did not want to have it.
- Adding the amount of natural phytochemicals I take in thereby increasing the amount of antioxidants I ingest.
- Cholesterol reduction was another major reason for my change, whereby the cholesterol within me is produced internally rather than consuming the LDL from animals.
- I did not want to consume another animal’s urine, puss and fecal matter. Thousands of Americans die each year from contaminated meat. That was rather unappealing once I checked into this further. The FDA and the U.S. Department of Agriculture feel this is OK, I do not.
There are dozens of other reasons one may begin eating vegan including for animal cruelty reasons. This is not to say eating vegan will automatically make one healthy. After all, if you sit around all day eating french fries, the chances of you leading a healthy life are rather dismal. I do feel that all things being equal, eating a healthy, balanced vegan diet is far superior than eating one based on meat and dairy.