Everything old is new again! This year’s hot fashion statements are a mix of 80’s with a bit of 70’s mod and 60’s hippy tossed together for an independent and unique expression mix of cool looks. Time to raid your parents and grandparents closets to look for goodies from the past that you can mix into your own style statement.
Guys are safe with jeans and tee shirts
- Stay away from the pants that are drooping so much that you cannot walk. A more streamlined look is in style and much more appealing.
- Preppy shirts are back in. Ralph Lauren is back in with the turned up polo collar popular in the 80’s.
- Guys add some color to your lives even if it is with a colorful sneaker.
Menswear is making a statement in woman’s clothes
- Longer blazers, popular in the 80’s are back in. Raid the closets to find these hidden gems of the past or borrow Dad’s sport jacket. Add a belt for an updated look.
- Sleeveless jackets are in as well, sort of a cross between a vest and jacket. These too were popular in the 80’s. Layer one with a floral dress.
Emphasis on shoulders
- Watch any of the prime time TV shows of the 80’s and you will see women in big shoulders. Shoulders might not be as padded as back then; now they are emphasized with less padding and more pouf.
Back to the tribal vibe
- Hippie and southwest has been reinvented into tribal chic fashions. Peasant blouses and flowing skirts are pretty and comfortable to wear. Southwest patterns are everywhere in bright and muted tones. Put the looks together and you achieve the tribal fashion trend.
Leather Jackets are in as a topper for casual as well as dressier fashions
- Update your style with a leather bomber jacket reminiscence of the Member’s Only craze of the late 70’s, early 80’s.
- Find a sleek biker jacket to add some edge to a frilly dress.
Neon is shouting out to show you off
- Jeans, shirts, sweaters, and shoes, neon color is in! Just don’t dress head to toe in it. Mix neon jeans with a black top or throw on a neon sweatshirt or pair of shoes as an accessory.
Prints are making their own fashion statement
- Stripes, plaids, florals are all in. Mix a stripe with a plaid or a floral for added excitement. Add a patterned shoe to a simple outfit for a shot of vibrancy.
Think high and low.
- Make things interesting by tossing on shirt or dress on with an asymmetrical hemline. They say that hemlines mimic the economy and the high low trend is definitely showing peoples uncertainty in age of the great recession. Style is moving to high in front and long in back. Pair with jeans or legging for a great look.
Jeans will always be in fashion
- Skinny jeans are in; learn how to adapt them for specific body types. Skinny jean does not mean that you have to be anorexic. Straight bodies can wear the skinny jean with a shorter top. Girls with more shapely hips can where a longer top that will help elongate the body and follow the line of the jeans. Make sure that you have some play at the ankle and they are not too short. Skinny jeans are versatile and can be worn with boots, flats, platforms, and sneakers.
- High waisted jeans of the 70’s are back. Not mom jeans, but maybe your mom’s old jeans from her high school days. Watch the 70’s show to get inspired.
- Bootleg jeans are best for every figure. They will even out the hips on any body type. where them long and dark with heels for a dressier appearance.
Don’t forget to address the tootsies
- Everything is in from combat boots, flats, chunky platforms looks, sneakers, and patterned shoes. Mix a pair of black leather combat boots with a floral dress. Wear a cute pair of flats with leggings and a high low top.
For a final touch accessorize with Grandma’s costume jewelry.
- Raid Grandma’s jewelry box for vintage gems. Old brooches are finally back in for the younger set. Think baubles and bangles as in bracelets and funky rings. Cuff bracelets channel a biker look.
This school year shouts fun and adventurous. Express your own style while channeling a bit from the past. Remember to dress properly for different situations. First impressions are important. You will need to dress appropriately when applying for a job or a college.
Have a productive school year and enjoy every minute as a flies by like a shooting star. Challenge yourself and never be afraid to dance!
Subscribe and enjoy reading all of my articles under the titles of Interior Decorating, Long Island Interior Design, Decorating, Arts & Exhibits, Lifestyle, as well as General Pets, Fashion Trends, and Long Island Prepper written for pingroof.com.