Summer time is travel time in Balboa Park! The park is an icon in San Diego, and draws visitors from all around the world. People come from far and near to enjoy the park’s beauty, culture, community and institutions. The week ahead has many exciting things to come and do. Get out, get cultured, come see what Balboa Park is all about. Below are a few of the highlights for the week.
- Today SUNDAY – July 8, 2012: Celebrate Argentina’s Independence Day with the House of Pacific Relations International Cottages. Folk music, dances and authentic Argentine cuisine will be offered. FREE. 2pm.
- MONDAY – July 9, 2012: Accomplished musician and teacher, Tom Trenney participates in the International Summer Organ Festival. Organ Pavilion. Show begins at 7:30pm. Free.
- TUESDAY – July 10, 2012: Add another music option to your plan with Twilight in the Park. This is a summer music and dance event held at the Organ Pavilion. Tonights event brings some real jazz to your night. Event begins at 6:15pm. Free.
- WEDNESDAY – July 11, 2012: Origami comes to the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center. Join architect and Fleet volunteer, Bruce Gemmell, as he directs you through the folding and creation of different objects out of paper. Included with gallery admission. 4pm-7pm.
- THURSDAY – July 12, 2012: In the mood for ComicCon but don’t have a ticket? Come down to the Museum of Photographic Arts for POP Thursdays. Superheros, body painting, music, film and photos are all in effect at this spectacular event. Doors open at 7pm.
- FRIDAY – July 13, 2012: Open your imagination with Cardboard Rocket. The R.H.Fleet Science Center brings science and imagination together in this special show that is perfect for kids, but great for all ages. Show begins at 11am.
- SATURDAY – July 14, 2012: Art mart is here again. Paintings, jewelry, ceramics and more are for sale during this outdoor art show. 9am – 430pm. Come support local artists.
- SUNDAY – July 15, 2012: Enjoy a Sunday morning stroll in Balboa Park with a ranger-led tour. Starting at 11am, take a one hour tour with a park ranger who will educate you on conservation in the park, architecture, botanical subjects and a bit of history. Free. Meet at the Visitor Center in the House of Hospitality.
Balboa Park in San Diego is sure to please any visitor. If the list above has not grasped your attention, see the whole calendar of the park by clicking here.