“Art is in every moment and it is an art to see it.” Sharon Tenenbaum
After 120 years, the Portland Art Museum (PAM) is more than paintings, sculptures, and photographs to see and admire. The mission is “to engage the public with art and film of enduring quality, to facilitate dialogue…, and to collect, preserve, and educate…” PAM’s mission is seen in their clean brand, interactive discovery zone, and the use of iPods to enrich the enjoyment of its visitors to its 112,000 square feet of learning and connecting.
As you enter the museum, you are greeted by a cheerful volunteer that will answer questions, provide guidance, and even escort you to the elevator or iPod desk.
If you want a turn-by-turn guide of the museum, the innovative use of an iPod guides you through the museum, including 12 short videos. You may download the Galleries and Museums in Portland application for free from the iTunes store or you may borrow an iPod Touch from the Hoffman Lobby.
Another suggestion, obtain a map, take the elevator to the 4th floor, and work your way down as you make your own self-guided tour. Take your time and engulf yourself in the pieces.
- Discovery Zone
- This is a hands-on room in which you are encouraged to open drawers, dress up, read books, and create.
- You can create your own sculpture out of aluminum foil and leave for display or take with you.
- Objects Stories
- Exploration of the relationship between people and things. Objects have stories and you are encouraged to tell your story.
- You can make your own video about a special object in your life. The process takes approximately 20 minutes.
- Schedule a recording time.
Floor by floor
You will see the following:
- 4th = Northwest Galleries / Contemporary Art
- 3rd = Native American Art / Post 1960’s Art / Discovery Zone
- 2nd = Native American Galleries / American Galleries / European Galleries / Special Exhibitions / Minimalism
- 1st = Asian Galleries / Special Exhibitions / Impressionism / Sculpture Atrium / Museum Shop / Museum Grounds Café
- LL = Contemporary Galleries / Graphic Arts Galleries / Objects Stories objectstories.pam.org
With so much to see, allow yourself time to make your own road by deciding what each piece means to you personally.
1219 SW Park Avenue
Portland, OR 97205
Look up website here
3-hour street parking in front of museum
Members – Free
Adults – $15
Seniors 55+/College Students – $12
Children <17 – Free
Use your admission towards a membership
Monday – Closed
Tuesday – 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday – 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Thursday – 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Friday – 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Saturday – 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Sunday – 12:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.