Hair completes our beauty and it certainly defines our face structure and can change our look. However, constant hair styling can damage the hair leaving it brittle, dull and dry. Maintaining a healthy hair can be tricky especially if you can’t get rid of the hair dyes and heat styling tools.
To help you maintain a healthy hair, certain measures have to be taken to restore its shine and strength. The following steps will help you repair your hair as well as maintain it.
1. Do no wash your hair frequently, as harsh chemicals in shampoos strip the hair of its vital oils and proteins. Wash your hair twice a week, and make sure to use a sulfate free shampoo; also condition regularly. Organix and L’Oreal Eversleek provide sulfate free shampoos and conditioners.
2. Refrain from brushing your hair while it’s wet. Hair is weak when its wet, harsh brushing will cause it to fall out. Always use a wide tooth comb or brush to prevent breakage.
3. Refrain from using heat styling tools such as blow drier, curler, straightener, and rollers. Constant heat breaks the hair and makes it dry. Restrict the use of these tools to only once a week if necessary, and use a heat activated cream or spray.
4. Constantly Moisturize your hair with serums or leave in conditioners.
5. Use a hair mask or oil treatment once or twice a week, to repair hair and keep it healthy.
6. Avoid using tight hair bands as they break the hair. It is recommended to remove all hair clips and hair bands from hair before sleeping.
7. Don’t use permanent hair extensions as they damage the hair and cause hair loss. If you desire temporary longer hair use clip on or tape in extensions, as they are easily removed without damaging your hair.
8. Frequently dyeing and bleaching your hair strips it of its nutrients and protein, leaving hair dry and damaged. Dye your hair less frequently and use ammonia free hair dye.
9- Trim off split ends every few months, as split ends can cause the hair shaft to break further and dries the hair.
10- Get a protein boost by using a Keratin treatment or Hair Botox. This will restore your hair’s protein and seal the breakage. Be careful of the keratin products that contain Formaldehyde.
DIY Home Remedies for dry damaged hair:
1- Mix mayonnaise and olive oil to moisturize and repair dry hair. Leave in mixture for about 30 minutes and wash with cool water.
2- Use hot oil treatments. Heat oil in microwave for few seconds and apply to roots with a cotton ball. Make sure the oil is only warm not boiling hot. Leave in for few hours or overnight then wash. Recommended oils (Olive oil, Coconut oil, or Argan oil)
3- Wash hair with 1/3 cup vinegar mixed with 2/3 cup water. This will leave hair shiny and smooth by removing product buildup. Use only once a week, and moisturize your hair afterwards.
Best products to repair dull, dry, and damaged hair:
MoroccanOil Treatment priced at $15- $39- The lightweight formula is rich with Argan Oil, which is known to soften the hair and help control frizz.
BB Super Gro Hair Aid priced at $4- This product repairs splits ends and enriches hair with nutrients. Make sure to use a small amount as it can be greasy.
Carol’s Daughter Monoi Repairing Hair Mask priced at $29.This conditioner works on hair fibers to create a stronger, smoother, silkier, and shinier finish.
Frederic Fekkai Protein Rx Anti-Breakage Treatment Mask priced at $ 30- Restores and reinforces hair preventing future breakage, leaving hair stronger and more manageable.
Moroccanoil Intense Hydrating Mask priced at $ 32- Naturally and effectively moisturizes, repairs and adds shine to all hair types
Moroccanoil Restorative Hair Mask priced at $ 40- A treatment that offers a therapeutic remedy that penetrates deep into the hair.
Kerastase Ciment Thermique priced at $ 39- Leave-In Heat-Activated Reconstructing Milk for Weakened Hair
Pantene Pro V Replenishing Mask priced at $ 5 – This formula helps restore the moisture back into dry hair for smooth strands that are shielded from damage.
Kerastase Nutritive Masquintense treatment priced at $ 60 – Highly Concentrated Nourishing Treatment for Dry, Extremely Sensitized, and Fine Hair.