Zyra, Rise of the Thorns will be coming to League of Legends in the next patch, a summoning specialist that can lay down potent plants. Zyra is a caster of sorts, featuring a critical disable, powerful pushing and lane control abilities, and an area-of-effect ultimate that turbocharges her cunning cuttings. Zyra’s passive is an on death ability, allowing her to enact vinelike vengeance on her opponents.
Zyra’s abilities lend themselves to traditional AP caster builds. Don’t miss the Champion Spotlight video available on the left!
• Queen of Thorns (Passive): Upon dying, Zyra transforms into a vengeful plant that fires one last shot before expiring.
• Deadly Bloom: Zyra grows a bud at target location. After a brief delay it explodes, launching damaging thorns at all nearby enemies. If cast on a seed, Deadly Bloom grows a Thorn Spitter plant, which fires at enemies from afar.
• Rampant Growth: Zyra plants a seed, granting vision of an area for up to 30 seconds. Other spells cast on seeds will turn them into plants who fight for Zyra.
• Grasping Roots: Zyra sends forth vines through the ground to ensnare her target, dealing damage and rooting enemies they come across. If cast on a seed, Grasping Roots grows a Vine Lasher, whose short range attacks reduce enemy Movement Speed.
• Stranglethorns (Ultimate): Zyra summons a twisted thicket at her target location, dealing damage to enemies as it expands and knocking them airborne as it contracts. Plants in the area are enraged, increasing their Attack Speed.
Zyra looks like she may be a powerful addition to a variety of lineups. Zyra’s flora make for fantastic lane lockdown and create pushing opportunities, and her passive will punish teams that attempt to burn her out of a teamfight. A lane or prospective teamfight area that has been “seeded” by Zyra will swing battles significantly in Zyra’s favor, creating a disabling deathpit writhing with weeds.
It’s difficult to ascertain exactly what team comps Zyra will grow into, but her kit is particularly pervasive. Nuking and lane control abilities used in tandem can create a difficult and frustrating situation for opponents, forcing them back out of the lane or killing those that remain in range. Zyra’s pollinated passive has potential to punish prospective gankers and turn their victories into trades or even losses.
Look for Zyra as the latest addition to the League of Legends roster – She may grow on you!
Get the best news and spiciest editorials on online games – Subscribe to get updates and follow the action on Twitter! You can also follow updates on Facebook!